Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail

I started on my HR reading up today and my very first book had this wonderful thing to say- Enjoy!

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes, I would. If I could, I surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. Yes, I would.
Away, I'd rather sail away like a swan that's here now and then gone..........


From the song "El Condor Pasa" by Paul Simmon & Garfunkel

The author of the article goes on to say that this song above perfectly illustrates the attitude and outlook of the youngsters today.

They want to make a difference in this world. And they want to do it right now and fast! They have no patience like the snail and they always want to be the driving hammer rather than the nail that takes the beating! And if something doesn't go according to their liking, say in their place of work- what do u think they do? Well they sail away like the Swan of course which was here then and gone now!!!



Another thing that I also learnt today is that managing the manager in an organization is more important than anything else. How , you ask? Well, 90% of the top achievers in a company leave not because they are dissatisfied with their paycheck or their compensation but because of the attitude of their immediate supervisors. That is why organizations today need to recognize that employee turnover is all about talent loss and that loyalty is not the tenure of its employees but their contributions to the work!!



OHMYGOD!!! I DONT BELIEVE THIS- I HAVE ACTUALLY STARTED SPROUTING THE MANAGEMENT JARGON!!! GOD SAVE ME!!!

No comments: